Wednesday, August 19, 2009

No Oak, Bay Laurel and Halibut



You're looking at a sneaky camera phone shot of a bottle of 2006 Chateau de Montmirail from Gigondas at Cafe Claude in SF. More fruit forward than I expected for a French wine but nevertheless well balanced, good tannins, a little black pepper and....no oak. I did not miss it one bit. Check it out. Delightful with a wedge of the house made paté de campagne.

With only 2 days in the city, I was bowled over twice more with spot on concepts and executions in taste. Tara's, a tiny, extremely hip and happen' ice creamery on Claremont in Oakland always has an edgy selection of ever changing flavors, some made with sugar and some with agave syrup. My kudos and compliments on the brilliant and ethereal Bay Laurel. On initial taste, I was immediately transported to the Bay tree canopied logging road along the Navarro River -- minty, ever so slightly stinky, pungently herbaceous and oily. There's really nothing to say other than you're missing out on something life changing and important if you haven't tried it.

Okay, okay, I may be one of the last few to have finally experienced a meal at Boulette's Larder at the Ferry Building but! I chose a halibut on a bed of curried lentils served with an almond milk lassi that was borderline aggressive on the salt and crispiness of the fish. Spicy, cool, salty, crispy, creamy...I thought it was risky and I loved it. So nice to experience such a well-thought out and crafted plate perfect with their phenomenal by the glass program. I was swooning over my glass of the 2007 Chateau La Canorgue Rose from the Luberon. Fresh strawberries, frais du bois, Queen Anne cherries, peaches, and I'd wager, the most expansive mid palate on any rosé.

No comments: